60 second snippet – Stephen Dykes Bower
Who is the inspiration behind the ‘new’ work at the Cathedral? St Edmundsbury Cathedral only became a cathedral in 1914. There has been a church on the site however for 900 years. But it is thanks to Cathedral architect, Stephen Dykes Bower, that the building has been extended and developed to take on the ‘stature’ of a cathedral.
The next in our series of 60 second snippets explores his work.
Listen to this audio clip and use the photos in the gallery to the right (click to enlarge photos) to find out more.
The story then continues when Stephen Dykes Bower left £2 million in his will to complete the work started in the 1960s. Read more here.
The Tudor Nave – designed by John Wastell
The Crossing and Chancel – designed by Stephen Dykes Bower
Looking towards the High Altar
The Quire with limed oak pews
High Altar reredos
Lady Chapel – one of two side chapels added in the 1960s
The unfinished Cathedral – after Dykes Bower’s 1960s work