60 second snippet – Suffolk connections
In 1914 the new Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich was created and the parish church of St James, Bury St Edmunds, designated as its cathedral. The Diocese is more or less co-terminous with the county of Suffolk.
On entering the Cathedral today visitors encounter a sea of blue kneelers, each representing a parish, organisation or school in the county.
Listen to our latest 60 second snippet to find out more. Study the photos in the gallery for a close-up of a selection of the kneelers (click on the image to enlarge).
Further information on the kneelers can be found here
A collection of kneelers
The Cathedral kneeler – St James and Ipswich – the bishop’s mitre
Aldringham – All Saints
Hopton – All Saints
Linstead – Dragon pierced by cross (St Margaret)
Ipswich – Ship
Glemsford – silk weaving
Aldeburgh – Moot Hall
Frostenden – Frog
Groton – USA links
Modern day view