THE DIOCESE OF ST EDMUNDSBURY AND IPSWICH

The Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich was founded in 1914 and includes the county of Suffolk, except for an area of North East Suffolk around Lowestoft, and one parish in the county of Essex. It serves about 631,000 people living in a geographical area of more than 1,400 square miles. The communities of the diocese are served by 443 parishes within 116 benefices and 18 deaneries. There are 478 church buildings of which 457 are listed. There are around 117 stipendiary clergy and 44 self-supporting ministers, some 150 Lay Licensed Ministers, including Readers and a few Licensed Lay Pastors and Local Evangelists and about 500 commissioned lay assistants (Lay Elders) in the parishes. There are 87 Church of England Schools in the diocese (42 Voluntary Controlled, 10 Voluntary Aided and 35 Academies). The Anglican churches across the diocese seek to develop close links with other Christian denominations and to build understanding with members of other faiths. The diocese also has close ties with churches across the world, most especially with the Diocese of Kagera in West Tanzania.

Bishop Martin
THE BISHOP OF ST EDMUNDSBURY AND IPSWICH

The Right Reverend Martin Seeley

He was enthroned at the Cathedral on 20 June 2015, the 11th Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. His ministry started in Lincolnshire, where he was ordained in 1978. He has served the church in the United States of America, as principal of a theological college in Cambridge and in the Diocese of London. The Bishop resides in Ipswich.

Bishop Mike
THE BISHOP OF DUNWICH

The Right Reverend Dr Mike Harrison

Before being enthroned as the Bishop of Dunwich on 27 February 2019, he served in the Diocese of Leicester. Previously he was Vicar of a  rural parish in the Diocese of Southwark, where he was also Rural Dean. He had also held the post of Chaplain at Bradford University and Bradford and Ilkley Community College, where he was also Diocesan World Development Advisor.